Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Evaluating Fox: Postseason Play

As Georgia approaches the SEC tournament, I believe Mark Fox is still coaching for his job.  Common wisdom in the fan base seems to be that his job is secure, but I am not so sure.  I think it's worthwhile to find some tangible facts and figures Greg McGarity might use as he makes his decision. 

If my boss were to can me tomorrow, I'd want to know why, and while she'd be under no obligation to give me a reason, I hope the decision would be more than a gut feeling.

Likewise, over the next few days, I'll take a look at some facts, and I'll try to decide if they suggest another year for Fox is warranted, or whether it's time to go in a different direction.  I will deliver a verdict based on each individual metric.  Then at the end of this series, I'll give my opinion as to whether or not Fox should be retained.

Today's metric:  postseason play.

The numbers:  1 NCAA tournament berth (10 seed), 0-1 postseason record, likely 2014 NIT berth

The expectation:  I mentioned this in a previous post:  the expectation at a school with the athletic pedigree of the University of Georgia should be an annual invite to the NCAA tournament.  Period.  You can spare me the "football school" talk because it just doesn't matter.  Georgia basketball was beginning to thrive in Jim Harrick's last two years despite it's status as a second-class citizen.  If a "football school" like Florida can do it, should Georgia expect any less?

The reality:  I am the king of optimists, and only twice during Fox's tenure have I entered the season believing we had a shot at the tournament (2009-10, 2010-11).  To his credit, one of those teams did squeak in.  The other years I've been left hoping for an NIT berth or an unlikely SEC tournament run.

The verdict*:  Fire him.

* Again, the verdict is based only on this metric, and only at this point in time.  A 2014 NCAA berth obviously changes things.

No comments:

Post a Comment