Sunday, March 23, 2014

The End

The paper towel dispensers in the Stegeman Coliseum trick me every time.  The picture tells me to wave my hand for a paper towel.  The text tells me to wave my hand for a paper towel.  Only after waving for a second or two do I remember that the picture is a lie.  The machine may be built to dispense them automatically, but in Stegeman Coliseum, I have to push the panel if I want a damn paper towel.

When the Georgia basketball team runs onto the court, what do you see?  I see a team built to control tempo and pace, to grind out possessions, to get the ball to the rim, and to exert defensive pressure on your shooters.  Then I wave my hands and it's 8-0.  Then I wave some more and it's 18-2.  Soon, it's 39-13 and it's too late.  The machine is not working like it is supposed to, and the architect is standing with his arms crossed, looking bewildered.

It is almost beside the point that Georgia cut that lead to 4.  Was there ever a moment you thought they might win?  The reality this morning is that Georgia got run off their home court by a good-not-great Louisiana Tech team and the season is over.

The crowd, by the way, was spectacular.  The lower bowl was mostly full, and the building was loud.  People were on their feet screaming when Georgia cut the lead down to 18 after half.  18!  Cry apathy all you want, but there are plenty of fans who clearly want good basketball in Athens.  Stegeman was rocking yesterday despite perhaps the worst 10 minutes of basketball I have ever seen.

So where does Georgia go from here?  I know what I think, but mine is but a voice in the wilderness.  Greg McGarity has the one and only vote, and it is time for him to make a decision.

I will say this:  if McGarity finds himself looking for a new basketball coach, calling Michael White the day after Louisiana Tech loses wouldn't be a bad start to a search.

No comments:

Post a Comment