Monday, March 10, 2014

Rock the Steg

Here's what I know about Georgia basketball:
  1. The history is spotty.
  2. The recruiting is challenging.
  3. The fans are fickle.
  4. The success is often fleeting.
  5. The apathy is often overwhelming.
I was a freshman at the University of Georgia in 1999.  The first basketball game I attended was against Tennessee State (yes, I had to look that up).  I paid $1, walked in with my brother 15 minutes before the game started, sat down in about the fifth row at the free throw line, and was hooked.

By my senior year, I had to get to Stegeman Coliseum 2.5 hours early just to get my courtside seats.  Sellouts were common and national TV was a reality.  Dick Vitale came to Athens!  Ezra Williams threes were blowing the roof off the building.

So here's what else I know about Georgia basketball:  if you build it, they will come.  You can call Georgia a football school all you want, but if the basketball team is winning, there will be butts in the seats.  The talent in the Atlanta area is staggering, and Georgia can be successful on the hardwood.

It's time to take the lid off of this program.  It's time to Rock the Steg!

No comments:

Post a Comment