Saturday, March 14, 2015

South Carolina: post mortem

I think Georgia should have lost that game.

I don't mean they deserved to lose, because they didn't.  That was a gritty performance.  What I mean is, I think it would have served Georgia well if they had lost that game.

Kenny Gaines should not play against Arkansas.  If there's any doubt about Charles Mann, he shouldn't either.  Same with Juwan Parker.  If that means Georgia loses by 30 to Arkansas, so be it.  It's way more important to have as healthy a team as possible for the (true) opening round of the NCAA Tournament than to grind out a win just for the right to lose to Kentucky on Sunday:
  • We've seen that one before, haven't we?  Georgia gets a lead, lets it slip away, then pulls it out when their backs are to the wall.  Be honest.  When it was tied, and Gaines and Mann were limping around on the sideline, did you give the Bulldogs a chance?  I didn't.
  • Hello, Yante Maten.  He's starting to come into his own a bit.  That little hook shot is effective, and he's knocking down free throws.  He also seems to be good for one catch and dunk per game.  Thornton is probably the best player on the team, but the center position seems to be in good hands.
  • Oh, and that blocked dunk?  Pretty.
  • Charles Mann and Marcus Thornton:  75% from the free throw line.  Georgia as a team:  79.3%.
  • Only 7 turnovers, too.  Basketball is not mysterious.  Hold onto the ball, get good shots, and you'll win more than you lose.
  • Has there ever been quicker justice than when Georgia got a steal and layup immediately following the referees blown call on the out of bounds play?  I'm biased, sure, but I can't figure out what they saw.  In fact, the bald ref clearly mouthed, "I didn't see 42 touch it."  He was obviously overruled.  Get those guys a big screen TV, will ya?
  • J.J. continues to be Mr. Big Shot.
  • Very gutsy performance by Kenny Gaines.  He was maybe 70%.  I give him major respect for playing tonight.  I know he'll want to go tomorrow night, too.  That's why it's on Fox to shut him down.
  • Duane Notice is really good.  If not for his hot shooting in the second half Georgia runs away with that game.  I just clicked on his profile hoping he was a senior.  He's not.  We'll be seeing him for two more years.
  • Carrera, on the other hand, is just an energetic thug.  I respect that he plays hard, but he needs to dial it in or he's going to hurt someone.  It was a little scary watching him in the huddle after that second foul.  Did the refs miss a call?  Yes.  They also gave it back to him a couple possessions later with a make-up call against Djurisic.  That's when he just needs to let it go.
  • Frank Martin is a scary man.  That is all.
I don't give Georgia much of a chance against Arkansas, and that's ok.  They have nothing left to prove to the committee.  Will I be cheering for a win?  Of course.  But if Georgia loses, let's hope for lots of healing, rest, and a Friday tip.

Posting will be thin this weekend due to circumstances beyond my control.  I will try to get game cards and post mortems up as necessary, but no guarantees.

Enjoy the games.

No comments:

Post a Comment