Sunday, March 1, 2015

Missouri: post mortem

Well that was refreshing.  Missouri is a bad team, and Georgia did exactly what good teams are supposed to do when they get bad teams at home.  There isn't much to say about this one, and that's a compliment to our Bulldogs:
  • I admit I had a small moment of consternation when Namon Wright hit his second early 3-pointer.  He was coming off a game in which he hit 6/8, so I had my eye on him.  That I was ever worried says more about Georgia's season than about the game itself.  It was never in doubt.
  • If Georgia can bottle some of the rebounding they did in this game for Tuesday night, that would be nice.  A 17 rebound edge - with 19 offensive rebounds to boot - is going to win you a lot of games.
  • You may have heard that Nemi Djurisic's parents were seeing him play in Athens for the first time.  He played like it, too.  They'll be back Tuesday night as well for senior night.
  • J.J. Frazier is looking pretty healthy, which is great to see.  His bounce pass to Cam Forte for the dunk was pretty.
  • And Forte?  Oh, just 10 more points and 6 more rebounds without a single turnover.  Nothing he does on the floor is pretty, but it always seems to look good in the box score.
  • Great ovation from the crowd when Juwan Parker got in the game.  He looked positively giddy.  I loved the goofy smile after he went baseline and tried to dunk.  Glad he hit one of the free throws too.  I don't know what, if anything, he can give us, but it certainly can't hurt to have him as an option heading into the tournament(s).
  • Kenny Gaines 0/4 on free throws?  I bet he's beating himself up over that one.
  • Was it a little disconcerting to see Georgia lose interest about halfway through the second half?  Absolutely.  But it was a lot better than seeing them start the game disinterested, that's for sure.  I loved the 5 man substitution by Fox, too.  I think he got his point across.
  • You think Iduwe was excited to play?  His hook shot had to have missed by 6 feet.
  • 18 assists on 26 made field goals.  That's a number I can get excited about.
  • As for Missouri, well, there's just not much talent there right now, though a few of the younger players (Wright and Gant) are nice pieces.  Will Kim Anderson get it turned around?  I have no idea, but the team I saw yesterday was not close.
  • Really great crowd.  I was shocked.  Noon game on a Saturday after two bad home losses?  I expected 6,000.  Instead, the announced crowd was something like 9,300.  Winning solves a lot of problems.
One more home game, and it's a doozy.  I hope you'll be there to support Thornton and Djurisic.  They both deserve it.  Can Georgia spring the upset?  Probably not.  But I like my team, and I like their fight, and I'll be there to watch them try.

No comments:

Post a Comment