Tuesday, March 17, 2015

2015 NCAA Tournament: first thoughts

When Georgia popped up in that #10 slot during the selection show, my reaction went something like this:
  • Seconds 1-3:  relief.  I wasn't actually worried that Georgia would be excluded, but man was it nice seeing our logo on Sunday night.
  • Seconds 4-10:  dread.  Wait, how is Michigan State a #7 seed?  Didn't they just take Wisconsin to overtime in the Big 10 final?  And if we get past them, we get Virginia?  Weren't they all but locked in as a #1 seed a week ago?
  • Seconds 11-this morning:  resignation.  I'm just happy we made it.  Maybe it's something to build on, and we can win a game or two as a #5 or #6 seed next year.
The good news is this:  optimism is starting to creep in.  Hope.  That's what college basketball is all about, right?

I am not much of an X's and O's guys, but I have noticed that Georgia is not a trendy upset pick.  That's just the way I like it.  Michigan State has been playing some really good basketball in March, and getting a win will be tough.

It's not a terrible matchup, though.  They defend and rebound really well.  Most of their scoring is on the wings.  They have a couple dead-eye 3-point shooters.  If a healthy Kenny Gaines shows up to take away Denzel Valentine and Marcus Thornton and Nemi Djurisic can live in the paint, Georgia has more than a puncher's chance.

Am I picking Georgia in my bracket?  Of course!  Would I lay money on them?  Of course not!

But it's March 17th, and instead of talking about the NIT, or talking about next season, we're talking about March Madness.  I'm going to embrace that for at least another day.

Come 12:40 Friday afternoon?  Hey, anything can happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment