Friday, February 20, 2015

PWD speaks

It doesn't happen often, but when Paul Westerdawg speaks at the Georgia Sports Blog, it's always worth listening.

Yesterday, he said what a lot of us are thinking:
At this point, there's an incredibly shrinking opportunity to debate Mark Fox's future. It appears that he hasn't signed his contract extension from last Spring.  Now he likely won't sign it due to buyout implications which are rumored to impact him negatively in the new unsigned doc.   His old contract ends after the 2016 tourney.  Buying him out at $3.4 million $1.7 million or less is more than manageable. (I checked and the buyout is lower than I thought. #JournalismMath)

So...in my opinion and the opinion of others I talk to...he has to make the tourney or he's out.  That means he likely needs to win 4 more games.  There are 5 regular season games and at least 1 SECT game.

That includes 3 remaining road games and a home game against UK.  Other than UK, the opponents are beatable, but so were Auburn (home) and South Carolina (home and road).  Those are horrible basketball teams.

The only debate left is....what happens if he makes the tourney and loses first round?  Is 6 years without a single NCAA tourney win worth rewarding?  Can he find another job before McGarity fires him after the NCAAs?

That's the question.
Fox's future is a conversation I really don't want to have until after the season, but that's just me.  We all have a pretty good idea of where this season is going, but the body of work isn't complete yet.

I also disagree slightly on what it will take to get in the tournament.  I continue to believe 3 more regular season wins will do it.  That's splitting hairs, though, and not really the point.

The buyout implications of not signing the extension have been eating at me, so I'm glad Paul brings it up.  Did that play into Fox's decision not to sign or is it simply a "happy" coincidence for Fox now that it looks like his team is going to miss the tournament yet again.

His final question is one I hadn't even considered.  My operating assumption was that a tournament berth would save his job, period.  But is that really enough in year 6?

At this point, it almost seems like wishful thinking that we'll even be having that debate in a month.

[Georgia Sports Blog]

2 comments:

  1. Man I really like Fox and want him to succeed, but we are getting to the point where he's either going to do it or not. The Bama win was crucial, but we need to steal one at Ole Miss and then win a couple in the SECT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. We've reached that point. The question is what "it" is (a question I plan to address as soon as the offseason rolls around).

      First we have to figure out what our expectations are as a program. I've made it pretty clear I think we should be in the tournament 3/4 years. So even if he sneaks into the tournament this year, it's still worth asking if he's the right guy to keep getting us there.

      His resume is the equivalent of a bubble team's resume. It's not terrible, but it's far from a no-brainer...

      Delete