Thursday, November 27, 2014

Gonzaga: post mortem

I have absolutely no idea what to think about that game.  I'm going to attempt a post mortem here, but I'm not even quite sure where to begin:
  • Ok, let's begin with Bob Knight, who is insufferable.  There are rumors (that I never really bought) that he remains perturbed that Georgia didn't court him last time they had a job opening, and you'd almost believe it the way he calls our games.  Any time Gonzaga did something well, it was great execution.  Any time Georgia did something well, it was because Gonzaga made a mistake.
  • My favorite Knight moment came immediately after Kenny Gaines spectacular drive and dunk in the first half.  His commentary:  "It's really amazing how well Pangos sees the floor."
  • While that remark about Pangos could have waited until, you know, he actually did something, it was nevertheless spot on.  He was as good as advertised.
  • Kyle Wiltjer was pretty good too, and Georgia simply had no answer inside for the size of Gonzaga.  Part of the reason UGA was able to hang around was the fact that Gonzaga's bigs were in foul trouble almost all night.
  • It wouldn't be accurate to say missed free throws cost Georgia the game, but they missed 13 of them and they lost by 12.  Hit a few more and the tenor of the game certainly changes down the stretch.
  • In fact, as you browse the box score, it's remarkable how even it is.  Except for the free throw disparity, both teams are almost interchangeable.
  • I think I'll expand on this in a later post, but yet another slow start killed Georgia.  They played Gonzaga even for the final 35 minutes of the game, which is small consolation when the first 5 minutes saw the bad Bulldogs open a 12 point lead.
  • I continue to be surprised by the poor outside shooting.  I really thought that was going to be a strength this season.  Djurisic and Gaines were a combined 0-7 from 3-point range.  Just a bad night overall for Kenny.  He needs to shake it off and move on.
  • Keep shooting, J.J.
  • A word about the Kenny Gaines foul is probably in order.  Sure, I'm a little biased, but I thought Knight's bluster about ejection was way over the top.  I think Gaines throwing his leg out was a natural reaction to being beaten so bad, not an attempt to hurt the other player.  Had a flagrant 1 been assessed, I wouldn't have complained, but I actually think the refs got it right.  I sure hope Perkins is ok, but I don't think there was any malice.  It was just an ugly collision.
  • Jaylen Brown?  Is there a Jaylen Brown watching?  A competent small forward sure would have helped on both sides of the ball tonight.  One with Brown's talent may have been the difference.
I don't know if anyone expected Georgia to win this game.  I didn't.  Yet I still came away frustrated by...what, exactly?  Not the effort.  There's just an "it" quality that Georgia lacks right now.  They better shake this one off fast, though, because Minnesota is waiting, and an 0-2 trip to New York would be incredibly disappointing for this team.

No comments:

Post a Comment