Tuesday, January 12, 2016

“Learning some plays, rebounding the loose balls, the 50-50 balls."

Nice article from Seth Emerson about the emergence of Derek Ogbeide.  This caught my eye at the very end:
Fox said Kessler “grades out defensively better than just about anybody on our team.” While he may not rack up the blocks and steals, good defense also includes more subtle things, like staying in front of your man and making the right switch.
I don't doubt that it's true, but staying in front of your man and making the right switch doesn't mean anything if you lack the physical tools to defend that man or grab and hold onto rebounds.  I appreciate everything Houston Kessler has done, and he's a guy I want coming off my bench a few minutes every game, but if you speed up the tape and look at results, I don't see how you can conclude he deserves to start on this team.

I really don't mean to talk down on the young man, and I hope that's not how this comes across, but Mark Fox has a history of valuing experience over talent (ahem, Sherrard Brantley and Kenny Gaines).  As his recruiting improves (and it has), that philosophy has to change, or the slow starts will continue to haunt this program.

[DawgNation]

No comments:

Post a Comment