Sunday, January 18, 2015

Florida: post mortem

It's not the same Florida team we saw last year, but don't let anyone tell you those guys are pushovers.  That was a great win over a game bunch of Gators.  The 0-2 start to conference play still stings, but it's effectively been neutralized with the two wins.  I said I wanted a 2-2 start to conference play, and I got it, though that's not exactly how I thought it would go:
  • Nice crowd.  Georgia getting two early baskets despite the fake shot clock countdown of the Gator fans was beautiful.  I couldn't hear a peep from them during the first media timeout, and I sit on that corner of the court.
  • The box score reveals what we all know:  Georgia was hot.  That doesn't tell the whole story though, because so was Florida.  They shot 50% from the field and had one more made field goal than the Bulldogs.  I heard some Gator fans in line for the bathroom at halftime saying Georgia had hit a few "crazy shots."  I disagree.  They hit open shots.
  • The difference, in this case, was turnovers and free throws.  Georgia wasn't particularly good in either category (16 and 66%), but Florida was worse in both (19 and 57%).
  • Cameron Forte putting it in the spin cycle.  Pretty.
  • J.J. Frazier:  6 assists and 0 turnovers.  That's a sexy line.
  • It's time for Kenny Gaines to start being selfish.  Don't stop shooting, big guy.  Perhaps his late-game illness had something to do with it, but the fact that he only shot 8 times is insane.  Georgia needs to run offense for him.
  • Charles Mann was great in the second half.  That's the Mann we need.
  • Yante Maten with another block.  And oh what a block.
  • I didn't see the game on TV, but was the moving screen call on Kenny Gaines as bad as it looked live?  It looked bad.
  • Again, I'll point you to the scoring distribution.  Four players in double figures and one two points away.  That's the sign of a good team, folks.
  • Just curious:  why was Florida awarded bonus free throws after an offensive foul in the second half?  I don't even remember who the foul was on, but suffice it to say I was very confused.
  • I don't remember who was on the receiving end, but J.J.'s spinning post feed was one of the prettiest passes I've seen in a long time.  It was coming right at me, and I'm still not sure how it got through.
  • Georgia continues the trend of starting hot.  Don't stop now.
Can we expect a start that hot every night?  No.  Will the 3-pointers keep falling the way they have in the last two games?  I doubt it.  Regardless, this team is playing with confidence.  Some fans likely gave up after the 0-2 start, but they clearly didn't.  Next up is a red-hot Rebels team (check out what they did Saturday night).  Just another night in the suddenly-reborn SEC.

No comments:

Post a Comment