Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Hope

As the University of Connecticut men cut down the nets in Texas, they usher in an off-season that brings with it emotion.  Jealousy?  Frustration?  Apathy?  Perhaps.  But also hope.

Always hope.

Hope is the currency of the sports fan, and it is the drug of the Georgia basketball fan.

A McDonald's All-American?  Hope.

KCP is coming back?  Hope.

Tony Parker is transferring?  Hope.

All but one of our players is returning?  Hope.

I remember the night the Tony Parker rumors heated up.  KCP had not yet announced that he would be leaving.  I was beaming.  I told my wife, "Hey, if this happens, we are going to be really, really good."  I knew I shouldn't get my hopes up, but as sports fans, we have no choice.  There is always hope.

So here we are, hopeful again.  Georgia has some nice pieces.  The SEC is ripe for the picking.  Marcus Thornton is healthy.  J.J. Frazier is plucky.  Fred Iduwe is tall.  Kenny Gaines is probably still hot.

I am not warning you against hope.  I am asking you to embrace it.  Life is too short otherwise.  Georgia may not have the biggest arena, or the most butts in the seats, or the endless tradition, but like every fan base, we have all summer to dream.

But of course, you don't need that message.  That's why you're here.  That's why you'll be looking all summer for news.  Tidbits.  Anything from Athens.  That's why your nerves will kick up in September.  That's why you'll pull the schedule up every day in October.  That's why you'll be in your seat in November.  Because you have hope, whether you like it or not.

You and me both.

Go Dawgs.

No comments:

Post a Comment