Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Vanderbilt: post mortem

Stop me if you're heard this one before: a slow start and some questionable rotations doomed Georgia on the road.

And the world keeps spinning:
  • Mark Fox's excuse for yanking Derek Ogbeide less than 2 minutes into the game?  A hot gym.  I mean...I just...nope...
  • Ogbeide is looking every bit the 4* he was rated as coming out of high school.  If deployed correctly, he and Maten could do some damage in the post over the next two years.
  • I really do feel for Charles Mann and Kenny Gaines.  I'm confident this isn't how they saw their senior seasons playing out, but any postseason ship has likely sailed.  With that said, neither one of those guys has ever been one to let up, and I don't think they will now.
  • I find myself getting jealous when I watch a team like Vanderbilt play.  How many dunks and good looks from long distance did they end up with?  Georgia has at least 3 potentially deadly scorers in Maten, Gaines, and J.J. Frazier, yet very few sets (there are exceptions) end in good looks at the basket.  Why?
  • That's a rhetorical question, by the way.  Head on over to www.georgiabasketballblog.com and check the archives.
  • Bless his heart, Houston Kessler canned a 3.  I don't expect his minutes to change at this point, so maybe that little bit of confidence will lead to another one or two falling at Auburn.
  • Yante Maten hit another 3 too.  I'm telling you, that top of the key long ball will be a weapon for him next year - much like it was for Marcus Thornton his senior season.  The difference?  Maten's shot looks way better.
  • Damian Jones has already said he's going to the NBA.  He's ready.
  • It's hard to understand why Vanderbilt hasn't won more games this season.  I'm skeptical that Kevin Stallings' job is actually on the line, but just like Georgia fans, I imagine Commodore supporters are starting to reflect on what might have been.  The difference, of course, is that Vanderbilt still has a path to the tournament.
  • Kenny Paul Geno should spend all summer cranking 3-pointers in the gym.  I really like what Geno adds on the floor, and I think a lot of the criticism directed his way is unfair, but getting that jumper consistent will make him a real weapon his senior season.
  • E'Torrion Wilridge sure looked good in the first half, huh?  Apparently Mark Fox didn't think so.  Second half minutes: 0.
It's now SEC tournament or bust for the Georgia Bulldogs.  That doesn't mean there's nothing to play for.  Mark Fox, whether or not it's true, has to coach as if he's coaching for his job.  The freshmen, given their scant opportunities, have to start earning their minutes next year.  And Gaines and Mann simply have to control what they can control and finish strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment