Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Florida: post mortem

I don't think I'll have time to post the situation this week, but that's ok, because there is no situation.  Georgia blew its last chance at a nice win, and its only "good" win just lost at Missouri.  Barring a very unlikely run in the SEC tournament, this team is not dancing.

It doesn't have to be this way, but I'll leave that for another post.

For now, a post mortem, even if my heart isn't in it:
  • Georgia wasted a great crowd.  The stands weren't full, but those that were there were loud.  Too bad they didn't get much to cheer for.
  • Derek Ogbeide was an absolute beast in the first three minutes of the game.  He was "eating glass" as the team would say.  If you heard someone yelling, "No!" as Houston Kessler inexplicably replaced him three minutes into the game, you were probably sitting near me.
  • The defense is good enough.  Plenty good enough.  If you hold a team to 19 first half points, you have to be up big at half.
  • If you want to find a half in which Georgia put up more than 40 points, you have to go all the way back to the LSU game.  It came in a loss.
  • It's not like this team lacks talent.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say Georgia had at least as much talent as Florida.  You think Michael White couldn't find a way to put up points with Yante Maten, Kenny Gaines, and J.J. Frazier?
  • I don't know what Maten plans to work on this summer, but if he decides to extend his range out past the 3-point line, Mark Fox's "offense" will be the only defense that can stop him.
  • Florida decided to take Maten away last night.  Fine.  That shouldn't be bad news!  Georgia should be a pick-your-poison type team on offense.  Instead, it was Frazier and Charles Mann playing hero-ball.  Hint: that's a bad formula.
  • Why didn't White press Georgia all night?  It's almost like he felt bad about his two previous dismantlings of Mark Fox Georgia teams and wanted to throw him a bone.
  • You think ESPN is tired of having the Bulldogs on Super Tuesday?  Two weeks in a row, just over 100 points scored.  Yuck.
  • It's not helping that I'm watching Duke - North Carolina right now.  61 points have been scored, and there are 6 minutes left in the first half.
Basketball is supposed to be fun.  When's the last time you had fun watching this team?  Clemson?  Georgia Tech?  Oakland?

It's not the losing that gets me.  I'm a Georgia basketball fan.  I can handle losing.

It's how Georgia loses.

I'll keep watching.  I'll keep cheering.  But as hope for this season wanes, it's going to have to be hope for the future that keeps me going...

No comments:

Post a Comment