Friday, May 23, 2014

Filling the void

Talk of filling that last scholarship continues.  In an intriguing twist, Charles Mitchell is transferring from Maryland and presents an intriguing target for Georgia:
Charles Mitchell, who was Maryland's leading rebounder this past year, announced he was transferring in order to be closer to his sick grandmother. Mitchell is from Marietta. And in an intriguing twist, Mitchell could apply for a hardship waiver from the NCAA in order to play right away at his new school, as long as it's within 100 miles from his hometown.
"Knowing that she [his grandmother] raised me and is still a very big part of my life, I decided to move closer to home," Mitchell said in a statement released by Maryland on Thursday. "It’s important for me to be there for my grandmother and to help support my family. I didn’t want to leave, but I have to put my family first.”
Mitchell, listed at 6-8 and 260 pounds, was Maryland's leading rebounder last season. He started 10 games, averaging 6.5 points and 6.3 rebounds last season. He also happens to be an alum of the same high school, Wheeler, as Jaylen Brown, a highly-regarded small forward prospect for the 20155 class.
Now, I've been of the opinion that we should hold that scholarship, but there is a lot to like about the possibility of having Mitchell in Athens next season.  Not only is he a guy I (and Mark Fox) wanted pretty badly when he was coming out of high school, but he's beefy as well, and adding him would continue to address Georgia's issues in the post.

Though he had some issues at Maryland, his official reason for transferring is a sick grandmother.  First, sincere condolences to the young man and best wishes to grandma.  Second, that means he could apply for a hardship waiver if he did choose to come to Georgia, allowing him to play next season.

If Mitchell were to come to Athens, you could almost call the 4 and 5 positions of strength.  Thornton and Mitchell starting with Maten and Iduwe coming off the bench.  Imagine that...

h/t Seth Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment